Old 07-19-20, 01:25 PM
wcometh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help! Older bottom bracket -- need guidance

Hi,

So. I dug my bike out of my garage and found that the crank screw to the bottom bracket was bad an the crank fell off. So I was able to get a local bike shop to pop the crank of the bottom bracket (yeah, they are nice folk!), and they said "why waste $150 to repair a $100 bike" ($70 for both crank arms and new BB spindle + labor) ..."you can get parts and do it yourself". And with the lock-downs things are very slow in the shop. Oh, BTW, they did clean andd lube parts, adjust brakes, for a very nominal fee, so the bike is in good condition.

This bottom bracket spindle is an old model type (or should I say cheap?). Picture is attached. It says Neco CR-VB 3L. I found out that 3L means a length of 116mm, 32 mm on the left and right side sections, and the middle is 52 mm and it is Asian style or so. (India uses the exact same measurements; and Vintage Sugino Maxi Bottom Bracket from England??)

THE IMAGE IN RED BACKGROUND IS A REPLACEMENT ONE I FOUND -- BUT I AM NOT SURE OF PULLING THE "TRIGGER" SO TO SAY, until I get some second opinions. I would like this to be a one-shot thing and not stretch it to a CVS-like rolling bill of small items.

1. The bike is a dirt bike-type (at least >10 years) with gears - 3 in front, 6 back. So the one crank arm has to have the gear "thingies" (!) for the bike chain, and those individual plates are riveted on there.

2. I can find a few sites with replacements but the measurements of the sections are not put except the full length.
Question: What would be the "common name" for the BB spindle ?
Question: And can anyone point to a couple of good places that I can get this part without having to panic??

2. I am thinking of an "upgrade" to the spindle and crank arms. Like I said I need to accommodate the gear sprockets on the one crank arm.
Question: Can I upgrade easily? What type can I upgrade to?
Question: Will this be straight forward and =do I need adapters?/

Many thanks for the reading this. Your help is greatly appreciated and comments welcome!

PS: I'm having trouble posting pics !! noob restrictions.

Last edited by wcometh; 07-19-20 at 01:36 PM.