Old 07-21-20, 04:03 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
"A lot" is a funny term. I haven't gone past The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings in the Legendarium, but I do think of them a great deal. I read A Song of Ice and Fire fully (such as it is now, anyway), twice. Other than that though, no such fantasy - lots of Middle Eastern history a decade ago, the Bourne series a few times, most of the pulpy Wingman series, and now I'm tackling It (since I constantly mock the current notion that clowns are scary). And some other randomness - Red Eagles about the research on captured Soviet fighter planes during the Cold War, the first few Clan of the Cave Bear books, some other stuff.
If you want another great and frustratingly as yet unfinished fantasy, check out the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. He and GRRM both published their most recent installment in 2011, though the next should be the last for Kingkiller.

Another fun fantasy author, and one that can churn out (good) books, is Joe Abercrombie. Start with the First Law trilogy.

In sci-fi, my favorite is Iain M Banks (RIP ). Just started rereading some of his Culture books, since there are no more forthcoming.