View Single Post
Old 07-22-20, 09:48 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by BassistBiker

Did that saddle come already stitched together like that? First thing I'd do is untie it.

Stitching the skirts like that, that's usually something one does at the end of a saddle's useful life and one hoped to eke a little more use out of it. But the stitches completely change the architecture of the saddle and, in my opinion, ruin it.

In your first post you mentioned sit bone measurement. How was that measured? Bear in mind that the so-called sit bones are curved, and closer together in front than in back (picture the rockers of a rocking chair, but with exaggerated curves, and backwards). If you sit up straight, your sit bones will measure wide. If you lean forward, they get narrow. So if you were measured in any other position than the position you take when on the bike, the measurement is useless.

All that said, I've been working on this for years and I still have no useful advice on finding the right saddle. I've gotten really good at finding fault with other people's advice, though. Except for the people who stand back and say, you will have to figure this out for yourself. I can't find fault with that