Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
You know better, but is it possible “someone” clicked on a link and downloaded a virus or Trojan horse etc. that allowed outside access??
That's usually how ransomware hits individuals and small companies, and may be what happened here. However, with sensible security design, that doesn't matter - I could hand my work laptop to anyone on this board, I would bet, and they wouldn't be able to steal any actual financial data. They certainly wouldn't be able to torch our servers. It makes it a frustrating place to work (lots of red tape), but everything is segregated and scrubbed and encrypted. If I got disgruntled there is relatively little I could do. The machines that could be used for such are heavily secured and no one can just load their Outlook on it and click a link promising a weight loss cure. Garmin is big enough to know better, and damn sure is big enough to take such precautions.

For reference, I couldn't even easily steal the data on the test server, and that's invalid test data that wouldn't work out in the real world. It's still encrypted all the way through and I'm literally locked from exporting it in any way. Any machine able to connect to production servers is even more secure.