View Single Post
Old 07-27-20, 10:40 AM
cheve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheve
I tried this w/my vintage MTB with Surly nice rack: just strapping the front wheel to the rear rack. I used bungee cord and some simple straps to keep the hub snug against the rack, you have to be careful to only strap the front wheel so it can pivot on bumps.

Riding is a bit weird, but it works pretty well overall.
@chimike, this is the guy from the instagram post: I actually posted the details here a few years back. It worked very well but I spent like 30 mins setting the bike up. Basically jammed the edge of the QR from the towed bike in my rear rack, and then used bungees to keep the WHEEL against the rack. That way the bike pivots and it all worked out. It wasn't unstable, I was rolling with sturdy 36h touring wheels, but it also wasn't practical and because it was askew, if you did a marginally tight turn on the opposite side of the towed bike, it would flop over.. I now use a big dummy with a screwed in QR mount, it works perfect, is much more stable and takes 2 mins. I use it all the time to take bikes to and from service, and like that video, to pick up my gf