Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
The only reason I ask is because I pulled a set of Symmetric shifters off an old Univega and the braze-on to that frame looks a bit different to what is in photos of my friend's Riviera (he lives a ways away so not able to see it now!), and uses a very fine pitch screw to attach to the Univega. I was wondering if they're all like that and what the deal is with the braze-ons. I guess the clamp-on version uses an endless band clamp, but maybe there's a separate braze-on version.

I love that fender mount braze-on on the Nishiki. Its decisive purposefulness echoes the great French constructeurs. These old tourers make such good gravel bikes! My friend and his girlfriend live in central Vermont, prime gravel country, so we have high hopes for it.

OH one thing I would like to know is seatpost size. Do you have any idea? I think his came with the wrong sized post, judging by the abuse the clamp has seen.
I make it 26.8. Double checked against the old trek which is 27.2 and yeah I think that’s an accurate reading.

Now, that said the bike came back to me with the SP slammed and it got some zig zags coming back up — the frame comes to two sharp points at the clamp and seems prone to that kind of thing. So a lot of marks might not be a sign of a wrong size.