View Single Post
Old 07-28-20, 10:06 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I have 5800 and 6800 shifters on road bikes and these feed the same way. Are you referring to the quick wear due to the cable bend within the shifter? I've read about that before, but curious if there is something more.
Yes, you get the reference. My RD cable has frayed/broken (within the shifter) twice in about 8500 miles: first time was at about 4,000 miles, second time was on a cable that had about 1,500 miles on it. Apparently it's pretty bad on the Shimano 11sp group. Granted, I shift a lot, as I live in a very hilly area, but it's pretty ridiculous. Prior to this, I had not had a shift cable failure (9sp and 10sp) in about 65k miles.

According to my shop, when the cable breaks inside the shifter (and that's where it will break), it sometimes splinters apart and bits get stuck in the mechanism; if it can't all be removed, you may have to buy a new shifter. So, according to them, the key is that, when your bike stops shifting properly, STOP CLICKING on the shift lever - as that will make it worse.