koenbro 

Bikes: 1994 Trek 520, 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1962 Ideor Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I pasted this:
But if you ever want to use a charger to keep you phone or GPS charged on tour, you'll get better performance at low speeds with the SON28.

There are lots of ways to turn dynohub power into power for GPS, etc. When touring, I run my dynohub power into a Sinewave Revolution to produce USB power. There are several other competitors to the Sinewave too. My particular Garmin does not play well with a Sinewave directly without a pass through cache battery in the circuit. So, I send my dynohub power to the Sinewave, then the USB power from the sinewave goes into my pass through cache battery. And then I draw power from that battery to feed into my GPS to charge it. I can charge my GPS while I am rolling and my GPS functions while being charged. I think the B&M werk includes a pass through cache battery, and I think the Forumslader (spell?) also includes a battery, but the Sinewave does not.

The 105 is 130mm. I did not know if your frame was 130 or 135mm, often touring frames are designed at 135mm because touring bikes often use mountain bike drivetrains for lower gearing. I suspected that the 520 might be 135mm for that reason, but if you know it is 130mm, you are set. It used to be that 130mm was considered a road size and 135mm was a mountain bike size.

With a steel frame, you can put a wheel in the frame that is 5 or 6mm off without a problem, other than the wheel does not drop right in. I am using a 135mm hub in my rando bike frame that is 130mm. And I am running a 126mm hub in my vintage road bike with a 120mm frame. Thus, it is not that big of a consideration, other than the wheel dropping right it without having to work at it if you have the right size.

The last half of my five week bike tour last summer, I was self sufficient on power from my dynohub. I wrote up a description of what I use and why on a different forum. Some of my electronic device choices are a bit esoteric, so I am not saying it is the right way, just what works well for me. The link to that write up is at this link:
Electrics that I use for bike touring - what works for me.

Tourist in MSN I stand corrected. The Son28 is indeed better suited to my needs (specifically charging stuff during the day), and I missed that part when reading about them. Thank you for pointing it out. I have called the wheelbuilder and asked them to replace the front hub. Seems like it's the same price.