Old 07-30-20, 11:14 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I think they are called motorcycles and they don't have much more luck than we do.

I think the smaller size of bikes and motorcycles make it harder to judge both their distance and speed.
In most places, foks are used to seeing motorcycles/motorscooters and know they are faster than bikes. They already ride in the center of lanes. But with e-bikes, the appearance is now nearly identical to traditional bikes from a driver's perspective (not knowing to look for hubs or batteries, etc.) and the expected speed difference is a lot - cyclists at an average of maybe 14-15 mph compared to an e-bike at 20+mph.

Motorscooter/cycle riders don't lean to put a foot down, they sit lower, so that makes it fairly easy to identify. But cyclists of both varieties, electric and non, do lean to put a foot down. Not a distinguishing factor. I'd be good with some kind of unique mandatory light on the front of e-bikes. I think the most dangerous part is folks turning left in front of you when on an e-bike as you get there much faster - I've learned to accelerate more slowly if cars appear to want to turn left.
Likes For linberl: