View Single Post
Old 07-30-20, 12:54 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10634 Post(s)
Liked 12,267 Times in 6,287 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan_M
My GF has recently gotten into cycling which renewed my love for it... I've riden a lot in my days. We're edging closer to doing our first 100km, 84km being our longest so far. I know our legs are good for it but comfort is becoming a bigger issue as we go farther. Ok sure it sounds romantic applying cream after a ride to places that are missing a layer or two of skin but it's kinda stingy. I'm sure theres a component of we just need to toughen up but there must be some gear that makes it better as well. We've gotten a few pairs of cycling shorts off Amazon which havent worked out well. Apparently a lot of designers think you need the most padding in between your cheeks up close to your tail bone and zero around your sit bones but I'd disagree. We need to get good stuff but not being able to try anything before we order how do we do this? Is there some shorts that are pretty much guaranteed to work well? something else we should be looking at? I hear bag balm might be a necessity.
Missing skin = friction. Friction = movement. You shorts should fit like skin, and should not move relative to your skin. A LIGHT pad works well together with a properly shaped and adjusted saddle. Absolutely no 'gel' anything! It gives the illusion of comfort for 10 mile rides, then you find yourself chafing and you equipment has gone numb.

Chamois cream - at least for me - seems to help the shorts and pad fit better and not move around, so after years of only using it on longer rides I now use it on EVERY ride, and I feel stupid for not having done so earlier.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles