Old 07-30-20, 05:05 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4284 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
They see you sooner with a light that isn't always on? That doesn't sound at all correct. I can see saying that with a bright front light that is solid coming towards them.
Yes, flashing lights (of the same size/power) are more noticeable from farther away.

Keep in mind that it's not just "seeing". It's making things distinct from other things that are being seen that are competing for attention.

Why do airplanes, towers, and emergency vehicles use flashing lights? It's not to be less noticeable.

Things that are moving/changing get registered more quickly by human visual perception.

Keep in mind that the lights used on bicycles are small.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I guess there could be a slight chance but still I will always support and advocate solid lights at the front.
Contrary to how human perception works.

Anyway, why just the front light?

===================

Keep in mind that, at night, a flashing front makes it harder for you to see the road and is especially distracting to oncoming traffic.

This thread is talking about daytime. In daytime, you don't need the front light to see and the high level of ambient light makes it less distracting to other drivers.

From far enough away, a static front light might look like a solar reflection off a car windshield. It's much more clear that it's something else if it is flashing.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-31-20 at 04:25 AM.