View Single Post
Old 08-02-20, 02:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
As am I. Even sometimes when there is a bike lane.

I ride past more car doors in a morning or afternoon than some of the “proponents” have ridden past in a lifetime.

I’ve ridden in bus/bike lanes that some of the “every lane is a bike lane” folks would NEVER ride in.

Obviously, it’s not them, it’s me.

-mr. bill
I've been a bike commuter in Minneapolis, New Orleans, San Francisco/Berkeley, and in the NH seacoast area. I also recreationally ride in the country, between cities and through a lot of urban areas, so I find the idea of a lot of absolute rules really quite funny. What works in one of those contexts is likely to be a complete disaster in another.

I know you've ridden in a far greater variety of places than I have, so I wanted to run this impression by you: The lack of anything resembling a rational street plan in the Boston area pretty much forces a person to vary their riding strategy from neighborhood to neighborhood to a degree I've never seen anywhere else in the US.