Old 08-03-20, 11:41 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 2,491 Times in 1,463 Posts
I will let Rubik comment on your question to him. My observation is that you have way too much warmup.

Let me explain. Old school conventional wisdom coupled with dogma had sprinters warming up forever. They would go out an roll around and then slowly increase their effort maybe for an hour. The theory was the shorter the race effort, the longer the warmup. Endurance riders, warmed up long and went faster for more of the time.

When I started sprint training, my coach gave me a protocol that lasted 12 minutes on the rollers. I was to sit around for 20 minutes with my legs covered and then race.

I am in my 7th decade and my legs would not feel great at the end of the warmup and my brain wanted more. It was all mental. 12 minutes is plenty of time to get all the systems operational. The goal is to show up at the starting line with fresh legs versus fatigued legs from too much warmup. This was the protocol that the British track team used for their sprinters. They turned dogma and legacy upside down. The Brits had the hot pants that they sat around in prior to racing.

So with a limited amount of time, you are spending 30 minutes for warmup and 5 minutes for cool down.

I would limit the warmup to 15 minutes and embed in the routine a couple of 10 second accelerations and one max effort seated start. Now you have the aerobic, glycolytic and ATP PC systems warmed up and primed.

IMO, the 1’ efforts roll around and then another are not that effective for you current situation. I think VO2 work after the warmup done in sets with rest between efforts and rest between sets for the entire period would give you more bang for the time slot. Then on other days you can do an hour of power with sprints every 10 minutes with power set at 85 -90%

You can do 1’ efforts on a particular day but do like 8 of them and that is the workout.

You have framed this thread about fitness. So just riding your bike doing whatever fancies you will generate fitness. If you do it consistently, coupled with your gym work, you will be in great shape. However, as soon as the discussion gets more granular and how is this workout compared to another, then the long knives can come out and start to slice up different protocols and debate what is best.

Last edited by Hermes; 08-03-20 at 11:46 AM.
Likes For Hermes: