Old 08-03-20, 10:39 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
...Doge keeps mentioning all these kids who probably could be great cyclists, but they aren't nurtured in it, so it never happens....
Or, they don't want to, or the age is off. I learned this watching WT pros ride here and mention it. They are not all that fast, and as they get more pro - they slow down.
You can look at Sagan ITTs as a junior, or Froome (no you can't as I think he was a non player then) and see it was not so much about speed then for them. Search Sagan's Peace Race ITT times. Kittle was an ITT champ.
Being a good Euro pro is so much more than going fast in a short race. It is finding the right team and marketing and being able to deal with all the other stuff.

I have posted several times I think the WT races are way too long and favor the slow and steady over the fast and exciting. TdF average 24-25 mph is not as exciting [to me] as seeing (USA) riders averaging 28mph.
I think the sport is a bit warped in celebrating endurance over speed. I do see shorter and faster is increasing in popularity.