View Single Post
Old 08-04-20, 09:21 AM
The 2nd G

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New Long Island Rider

I'm a runner who always wanted a bike. At 52, I was worried about spending too much money on a bike, so I did some research and got a great deal on a brand new 2014 (crazy, I know) Raleigh Ravenio 2.0 from a reputable local bike shop. My plan is to ride it for 2 years and then move on to a better bike. Anyway, I've been having a LOT of fun this spring/summer riding, but have had some minor issues that I tried to fix myself by watching YouTube videos, but for most ended up having to go to the bike store to have a mechanic fix it (no charge, although I did give him a tip a few times).

Then, I come on this forum (and of course watched tons of YouTube videos) and see that most people seem to be able to work on their own road bikes. I'm discouraged a bit, but I love the sport so much and don't see myself falling away from it any time soon. It would be great if I had a buddy who was a bike expert, but I don't. Also, the local groups suspended their rides because of the pandemic. Sure, I could Strava-stalk the people I seem to ride past or near regularly, but that seems shady to me.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to learn basic (and beyond) bike repair skills?