Old 08-04-20, 10:09 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4284 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Reading that more closely, that is not at all the implication. It's talking about "effective intensity" which is simply the average intensity during the on-off cycle, and stating that the improvement of the steady light is related to the effective intensity.
Read it more closely. The effect you are repeating occurs "Well above visual threshold".

And I show it repeated multiple times.

Don't cherry pick
That's what you did!

I also showed sources that talk about bicycle lights (not airports).

It is for me. I don't care at all whether a driver can see me from 2 minutes away.
Sure you do!

You want drivers to have as long as possible to be able to be aware of you (and have some idea what you are) for as long as possible. It makes the window larger (hopefully) than the distraction window or gives more time for your presence to reach their consciousness. This is the point of the flashing light (not the other thing).

I want him to see me during the time when he's approaching me and is judging how to interact. I'd rather he have more information about how quickly he's approaching than be confused about it.
Keep in mind that the OP was talking about lights during daytime (why do people keep forgetting that?).

If the driver is that close, they aren't (shouldn't be) looking at your rear light.

In practice, "how to interact" doesn't seem to be an issue at all.

You have to register as something that might need to interact with before they can judge how to interact.

That registration appears to be the real problem, with bicyclists and motorcyclists. There appears to be a perceptual blindness that keeps these things from registering with drivers.

If the bicyclist/motorcyclist registers, drivers don't appear to have issues interacting OR they can't see the rear light anyway.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-04-20 at 10:52 AM.