View Single Post
Old 08-04-20, 01:42 PM
danallen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Maintenance Frequency

This bike is the best thing that ever happened to me. Last time I had bike before this was 40 years ago, in college. I cannot believe how fast this bike goes, even with me on it.

I am wondering if you can tell me if the way I am going about mainenance sounds right. I just found out I am behind a few things, I think, not sure.

My 2009 Madone 5.2 WSD arrived in excellent condition from a few states away after a great deal on ebay ($700). Since then, I have recorded 2,200 miles on Strava, which probably captured about 2/3rds of the miles. so call it 3,000. I recently replaced the cables, cassette, and chain. I have fresh set of brake pads to put on, the ones I am running now still have a little live. I have new tires. I keep the chain lubed. I just ordered paraffin which I am going to mix with teflon powder. I just watched a video of a guy who seems credible, who says, paraffin and teflon will provide a 9,000 miles lifespan of a chain and 27,000 miles on the cassette and cranks.

I just saw that the "hubs" and bottom bracket should "repacked" every 500-1000 miles. I am confused about that. I understand the hub on the rear wheel. I had no idea it needs such frequent attention. My impression is the bearings in the front wheel pretty much can be left alone. The wheels are aluminum Bontrager Race Lite. Regarding the bearing in in the bottom bracket, I thought they are sealed. Does the bottom bracket need to come apart every 500 miles?

The only problem I see is I think the left side crank is too far on the shaft, creating some unnecessary friction. I know it is bad to have side to side motion in the crank, but I am going to see if I can loosen it slightly. I have to get one of those special shimano tools for undoing preload cap.