Old 08-05-20, 01:21 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4847 Post(s)
Liked 3,980 Times in 2,584 Posts
I ran those bottom Leotards for decades. Loved them except 1) the tab didn't go very far into the cleat and wore out cleats fast and 2) if you pulled hard to climb fix gear you loosened the peened (sp) metal fits (which you can see on the four corners on the photo. Also every time you scraped a left pedal the dust cap flew off. All my dead rights got robbed for the next left. For years I had a large box of dead Leotards, all with loose corners and no dust caps.

I now run the chromed steel rattrap versions of the Shimanos in your middle photo with the tabs I wrote about above. They are an easier pickup than a Campy Record or SR but not much and very hard to do reliably on a fix gear until you pull my tricks. Shimano made a bunch of those style pedals at several model levels. I never saw a pair new out of the box or the literature so I know nothing of their history or hierarchy. Been riding them the past 20 years or so. Buy them when I see them and ride the ones that work. Best bike now has a mismatched set. Plastic cover to the outboard bearing on one, not on the other. Seems that some come apart for service and others do not.

Those Shimanos,of any level with the chromed rattraps and my modification are sweet fix gear pedals. Absolutely love them. (Just came home from 40 miles on them. New toestraps, need new cleats. That pair is from 2 summers ago! Shows how much I've been riding.)

Some of those pedals come with a simple triangular plate to anchor the toeclip. Others the shaped plate of your photo to lock into for track racing, When I get those I either use the older plates I have or cut those plates down to flat. (I ride them into the ground so it's not like I am spoiling someone's find. Good thing is that it takes far longer to kill those pedals than the Leotards.)