View Single Post
Old 08-05-20, 10:00 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
I can only imagine how much more connected I'd feel riding a fixed gear, just not sure my "off road" jaunts would be good for riding fixed. I'm so accustomed to leveling the pedals when needed, even with this coaster brake single speed I have.
My first fix gear ride, the pedals leveled me. Literally. Three oncoming cars. I wanted to pull a left turn. Going ~20. (I was a novice racer). So I coasted, left pedal down. It shot me a couple of feet into the air, followed closely by the bike still strapped to my feet. Collapsed on the road fairly hard, but with almost no speed! Left leg felt like living hamburger but I was sold! Been riding fix gear ever since. (No, not all fix gear. Still, enough that my total lifetime mileage is now over half fixed.)

Those first fix gear bikes were always workhorses - racks, locks, fenders most of the year, 10 years ago I ordered a dream fix gear, the bike in my avatar. It's a serious, very good, 1990 titanium road race bike for a fictional world where gears and freewheels had never been invented. My mistress, Jessica. (No, no, not as in concubine. Mistress as in the feminine gender of "master". When we ride, she's in charge. I get to choose the direction, the gear ratio and generally how hard we go but at any given moment, she's running the show. And I'd better remember that or I'm in for a surprise!)

Rode Jessica yesterday for a 40 mile evening ride. Gorgeous day. No great plan, several stops. Stretches of hard riding, others of just riding. Got home well after dark. Great ride! Complete retool!

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney: