DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4380 Post(s)
Liked 3,041 Times in 1,649 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
Tubular questions - Rim strips/base tape?
Q1) When they refer to base tape, is that the same as rim strips, such as I'd use on clinchers? Mostly I had used a rubber type though some clincher wheels had the Velox stuff. I just checked the remaining tubular tire tire I still have mounted and it has a cloth tape that seems to stick out beyond the edge of the rim.
Q2) Is this tape necessary or just nice to have? Can i live without it?
Q3) If I have to have a base tape, what should I look for? Specific type or brand? I googled base tape and no luck. I google rim tape and that there's lots of that. Anything to avoid? The only ones I have are rubber rim strips.
Rim tape refers to tape on the rims to cover the spoke holes for clincher and tubeless tires, there is no reason for rim tape with tubulars.
Base tape refers to tape on the tubular tires that covers the stitching. It comes already on the tires, it's not something you buy separately and install. Tufos famously do not have stitching but they still have base tape for the bonding surface with the rim.
Some experienced tubular users don't put glue on the base tape, I suggest you do it for your first mounts and then re-evaluate whenever it comes time to take a tire off.
People sometimes conflate the terms rim tape with base tape, so be aware of that possibility whenever this discussion comes up.
Sounds like you're doing everything right.

tubular tire base tape