Old 08-06-20, 06:36 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
I got a discounted Retul fitting session in early 2017 when I bought a new bike. Over the years I had tinkered with seat height, placement, tilt etc. and my cleat placement and thought I had it dialed in. The fitter moved my cleats all the way back in my shoes and raised my seat height .5" and made it level - a very noticeable improvement on my next long ride. I became a believer in fitting by an experienced bike fitter.

The only upsell was discounted heat molded shoe cushions or beds or whatever they are called. The OEM ones were in pretty sad shape so I did spring for those. Not sure those made any real difference over cheap replacements.
I had a Retul fit in Boulder back in January. Very impressed. My problems were 1) left foot/toe numbness beginning around mile 10, 2) left hand, same thing, and 3) left hip pain after a ride such that I could barely stand at the finish of the ride. I had already shimmed my left cleat by 2 degrees so I was very interested in those insoles as well. Very pleased. I was using off-the-shelf-insoles before. They did the same thing with my cleat movement.

I didn't feel any up-sell pressure at all, which is good - I don't respond well to that. I did purchase a new handlebar that they installed for free, but I didn't feel any pressure to do it and it was cheap. It was a big help as well.

One interesting thing he did suggest that came out of my fit was to change pedals. He didn't sell them so he had no dog in the hunt. He suggested I get Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL with a +4mm axle and add a 1mm washer to each side. That was the secret sauce I think, particularly on the hip pain based on the way my hip tracked.

I have no abnormal pain anywhere after the fit. Oh, I still have pain, but it's not because of a bad fit! Well worth it. No affiliation, etc.

Glenn