View Single Post
Old 08-06-20, 10:54 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Here's my newly rebuilt old bike. The frame is a 2001 (I think) Eddy Merckx Team SC. I loved it in its original carnation (Campy Chorus 10-speed group and Rolf Sestriere wheels), but I took a looooooooong time off of cycling, and it's been sitting in the garage collecting dust for years, with only the occasional ride every once in a while. After riding a Peloton bike for the last year and a half, and then getting stuck home with the COVID situation, I decided to dust off the bike and start some sort of serious riding again. However, given the time off from cycling and being over 50, I thought that it would be a good idea to switch out my 53/39 crank to a compact crankset and switch to a bigger cassette, which meant I would need new derailleurs. I also thought switching from 23mm to a wider wheel would make it more comfortable. At some point, I just said "screw it" and replaced everything but the frame. So, here's the new stuff:

• Campagnolo Chorus 12-speed mechanical/rim groupset
• Wheels are HED Belgium+ rims and White Industries hubs built by November Bicycles, with 28mm Continental GP5000 tubless
• Easton EC90 compact carbon bars with Fizik Vento Solocush tape
• Ritchey WCS carbon seatpost
• Favero Assiamo Duo power meter pedals

The only parts I kept from the old bike are the Thomson alloy stem and Fizik Arione saddle. Anyway, it rides great (for me anyway -- I've never ridden a modern carbon aero bike), and I'm very happy with it so far. Here's the photo (yeah, I know the chain's in the wrong gears for a photo!) It still has the old Look Keo pedals in this photo. My new ones just came today.

Likes For mattcalifornia: