Old 08-09-20, 11:57 PM
MikeAndJean

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Markeologist
My new (to me) Ritchey Palo Alto road tandem...my photos this time. Hopefully get a around to a little wrenching this weekend...see what I got here. Going to try and pull the Arai drum and exchange the Sugino rear seat post for a Campy that matches the captain’s set post...the Sugino looks too small in diameter to me. If it is, I sure hope the binder didn’t get screwed up. While I’m at it, I’ll dig out a better stoker saddle. Likely pull timing side pedals to confirm these are proper tandem cranks too. Been digging into details on Ritchey’s early road tandems, this one has the binder bolt in front of captains seat tube and the slot runs on the top tube....most of the pix I see look like the binder bolt is more often on the rear of the seat tube...anybody have any knowledge on this “odd” set up??

Looks great. The gearing look like a big improvement over the arrangement we used for 40+ years.

It does not look like Tom built this bike for a hub brake; however, you can find the necessary cable stops in the Campy vintage section of eBay. You also will need a cable splitter for the third brake. That last sentence may draw criticism from some tandem teams. I preferred having all brakes controlled by the rider in front. Other teams consider that to be a demeaning arrangement for the rider in back and instead add a third brake lever to the rear handle bars. This arrangement is consistent with the idea that the hub brake is something you use to slow the bike rather than stop it. To me that seems like a mistake in the event of a panic stop. However, this is not your first tandem so by now you have worked out a solution to this issue with your partner.

Go ride this tandem up a hill. Once you do you won't be happy with your other tandem.
Likes For MikeAndJean: