Old 08-12-20, 07:52 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
they're gonna call you out on that one... CS said grease...
I don't expect anyone to "call me out" as I have no beef with anyone...I bought a custom bike for many thousands of dollars and took delivery. Within a very short time, the bicycle exhibited very rejectionable noise. After several trips to the LBS without any success at reducing the noise, I decided to run some experiments myself. As a result, I was able to affect the presence of the noise by removing one of the sleeves altogether. I ordered the alternate assemblies (Praxis, Chris King), as my wife and several friends have the same bike but with the Praxis (default) BB without any reported issues. I am now using the Chris King assembly (as a test) and am in the process of making a warranty claim with the bike manufacturer on the Ceramicspeed factory-upgrade for which I expect a modest sum refunded to me. My claim is not with Ceramicspeed. They ostensibly make excellent products and I have merely identified qualitative aspects of their design implementation that appear to be either the source or a contributor to the noise I am experiencing.

Of note, the metallic anti seize grease is what was used by OEM, and was visible upon initial removal. Also, anti seize compound is a grease but with suspended metallic to prevent galvanic corrosion. Additionally, the Chris King instruction explicitly recommends an anti-seize compound. The only other difference with CK BB is recommended torque to 50N-m vs 40N-m.

Note CS works perfectly when one half sleeves removed (per above).

I have no beef with CS - only sharing the results of my testing as it may assist others or at least serve as an interesting thread.

Last edited by SkepticalOne; 08-12-20 at 07:57 AM.