Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by wannabespeedy
Looking to pick up my first road bike. I'm upgrading from a Citibike membership and want something that's actually fast, which would make longer rides way more enjoyable. I'm also interested in Zwifting during the winter. I've biked for a long while but have always rented/owned cheap bikes and would like to make an investment. I would like something that isn't 50lbs and that I can actually ride on the road fast enough.... looking at a sick Diverge Comp which would be great for the rough tracks.

Am I crazy to want to buy a nicer bike with a budget of $2.5-3k as my first real bike? Should I start with something cheaper and work my way up? I feel like I know what I want out of a road bike and have had the opportunity to test different brands and frame sizes. I would be buying used locally and would try the bike out before purchase. My thoughts are that if I get a nicer bike initially I would save money down the road by not needing to upgrade, but is a $3000 bike built that much better than a $1500 bike?

This purchase would be just for fun, not commuting regularly. Worth investing in for savings down the line or should I initially go for less?
If you feel like you know what you want, and you try different bikes and appreciate the $2.5-3K bike more than the $2k or $1K options, then no, it is not crazy to spend that much if you can afford it. In fact, it is probably better to get it now rather than buying twice.

There is a point of diminishing returns, but it varies by individual. . For ME, on a road/gravel bike, that starts to kick in over $2K But road is not my first love. For a mountain bike, its around $5K for me.

For others it is higher or lower.

So no, $2.5-3K is not crazy if you really like it.