Old 08-12-20, 08:50 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1302 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4692 Post(s)
Liked 5,845 Times in 2,300 Posts
Better? Perfectly adjusted, modern shift systems are the cat's meow, but at the expense of complexity, cost, and the fact that in a few years there's a good chance that you won't be able to find a replacement. I'm not sure that there are any rim brakes that are signifiantly better than some vintage models equipped with new, modern pads. Hydraulic disc brakes have the ultimate stopping power with little hand effort, but at high cost, and you don't need that much braking power for most applications. Long downhill gravel riding in the PNW makes them worth the cost and complexity.

I'll take a cassette over freewheels any day of the week and twice on Sundays, but I did stop at 8 cogs. More cogs=higher priced chains, and I never wish I'd had a gear "in between". I'd much rather run a sealed bottom bracket than adjustable cup, they're just so easy to install, maintenance free, and I've never worn one out.

My feet used to go numb in even cool weather with toe clips and straps, once clipless came around I never looked back. I've tried to get used to platform pedals, and I use the modern big platform ones for commuting, but still prefer clipless for "performance" riding.

100 year old saddle technology is still as good as it gets for my posterior (YPMV).

Tires (clinchers) are hands down better, and I spend a lot more on tires than I'd ever think I would. Rim manufacturing tolerances seems a lot better than BITD.