Old 08-16-20, 08:32 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I will second that sentiment of modern bikes being available in fun colors, one just has to look a little bit, which can be an effort. Presently, Trek has gone for bonkers color options on their Emondas. As a former owner of a '16/17 ALR6 frameset (satin black with gloss color accents), silly colors make me want another one more than I already do. And if anything, now the components become the "backdrop" and the frame or frame's paint become the visual attraction. Add black wheels and tan wall tires and it looks stunning. Just look at this!

I would gladly buy and ride one of these again, just not for original MSRP because I buy nearly everything used anyways. Perhaps I could make an exception if I sold a few more things. Aluminum (ALR) model, 62cm, and rim brake. H2 geometry has the head tube quite tall, which is really comfortable. I'd probably just put my 10-speed Di2 components on it.
I love the colors, but so many modern bikes have this "Billboard" look of just a big logo on it with no other design elements. I realize complaining about this is silly in the C+V forum where a ton of old bikes featured this design, but I grew into cycling where high end frames all had wacky paint jobs with writing and logos all over the place (especially team bikes), and I weirdly miss it. Also, my favorite period of visual design was always the 80s, when you had that weird mix of modern fade/splatter/etc paint jobs on lugged frames. Such a neat look.

Also there's this.

Trek realizing they can make the already huge logo on the Madone even bigger by stretching it to the headtube is the most ominous trend in cycling since the press-fit BB.
Likes For sheddle: