Old 08-16-20, 11:42 AM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Ebikes are digital, because conventional bikes are analog? If I have a cyclocomputer on my "analog" bike, does it become "digital?"

I have trouble understanding 18 or 20 mph being ok on an MUP, actually! I assume "cyclists going too fast includes a dollop of concert for eBikes going too fast, or not having the skills to handle emergencies on those machines. Do their brakes have to meet a safety standard? Think of the families, seniors, children, and dogs on leashes. My city as of late does not agree. Our proposed Vision Zero plan calls for 20 mph max on streets where children are playing or will be crossing, but that is based on injuries from car to pedestrian collisions, I don't know about eBike to pedestrian collisions - eBikes, like regular bikes, don't have any smooth surfaces - it's all rigid objects that would strike a pedestrian.
Analog is a term of art I picked up elsewhere that balances well with ebike. Otherwise, I agree it’s not a good fit.

Other than on weekends, most of the cyclists on my local MUP are riding at about 12-15 MPH. Some are slower, say 8-12. Some are very slow, barely faster than a walker. Some, including most of the cycling groups around here, average 15-18. In addition, especially early in the day, there are the folks I’ll call the racers. They pass me with a woosh. Probably going 25 to 300 or even faster. (I’ve seen riders keeping up with cars where the speed limit is 35.) Then there are the skaters and skate boarders who are usually slow, but more importantly for this discussion have poor direction control. There are walkers, runners, horseback riders, and so forth.

I try to be a good citizen, ringing my bell and “on my left-ing”. My average speed is 12-16 mph. I’ll go much faster on an open down hill stretch. It’s fun and without other riders not a big safety issue. My biggest challenge is passing. I can accelerate very quickly, even up hill. I consider it safe to pass quickly than to hover on someone’s shoulder. I drive my car that way too. I hate passing someone going 50 with a 55 speed limit and sticking to 50. I think it’s safe to go 60 or even 65 to get by. I do the same on the MUP where I think it’s even more important since so many on the trail wobble or are otherwise unpredictable.

Cyclists are like everyone else. Some people are about the welfare of others wear face masks, others do not. Some people drive pickups spewing carbon filled smoke, others drive hybrids. It’s not electric versus traditional bicycles or ebike vs analog. It’s different sorts of idiots. (Per Dilbert, we’re all idiots.)