Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked 1,982 Times in 1,414 Posts
Originally Posted by NewATBikeComute
I overdid it yesterday; started an openended bike ride; option to turn around at any point, but felt good, so kept going. When I hit the ocean at Bristol, RI (Independence park), still felt good. Less than halfway home, thighs started to hurt. Slowed way done, had energy bars, alternated plain water, and water with electrolyte tabs.

Each journey IS different. I am taking today and tomorrow off, more due to work schedule, and I need to study up on strategies for longer rides. This was only my third 50+ ride in my life, and all three have been in the last 6 weeks. Tacked on a home neighborhood, very flat, very slow, 2 mile loop just so I could say I made both a 'metric century' and a 'ride your age+1'.

Over did it? Yes. Pleased with myself? Also yes. Learned my lesson? To be determined.
No, you didn't overdo it. That's what you're supposed to do. That's how you get strong. Ride away from home until you're tired, ride back. A good motto: "Endurance starts when you start to endure." And the classic, "It's all between your ears." A good practice when everything seems a bit much and you just feel like crying, stop and eat something and have a good drink. Look around, check your tires. Fix you right up. Get back on and away you go.