Old 08-16-20, 05:42 PM
miyagibike

Bikes: 1970's Kalkhoff, 1980 Univega Gran Turismo, 90's Cannondale 3.0 (Campagnolo) Criterium, 1993 Specialized Epic Carbon, 2001 Merlin Extralight (Tom Kellogg), 2006 Bianchi D2 Crono TT, Trek 5200 OCLV (Campy Record Carbon gruppo, Zero G brakes, 14.7 lbs)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Hi, Salamndrine, and thanks for your thoughts and suggestions - super helpful! I have ordered some tan walled tubulars and plan to get one of the Paramounts in rideable condition. I have only very limited experience with tubulars but my "research" on You tube has prepared me for what will most likely be the worst part of the clean up - the part you mentioned about the 50 year old glue! I also ordered tubular tape (for alloy rims) to install the new tires once the old glue is off - does that sound like a viable option or should I stick with glue? I also plan on repacking the bearings and will follow your suggestion and not replace them because I believe the bikes were ridden very little (if at all!) I have dropped more than a few open bearings in my day and I'm sure there are a few rolling around in my garage.... somewhere! The brake levers are definitely labeled as Dia-Compe and one of the bikes has the additional "turkey lever/lifters". I do have some Weinmann centerpulls laying around and they do look pretty identical. I did read somewhere that some Schwinn-Approved centerpulls were re-badged Dia-Compes unless that was inaccurate. (Would it be possible to have Dia-Compe levers while having Schwinn-approved Weinmann brakes?) If not, I do have some Weinmann brake levers I could use if you think it would make the bike more accurate. (I don't think I did but its possible that I accidentally swapped the levers when I had the bikes somewhat dis-assembled when I first brought them home about 10 years ago. I seem to remember peeling off red, plastic/vinyl handle bar tape so I have ordered red cloth tape as an "upgrade". The original shifter cables are all OK and I will lube them up as you suggested. Thanks also for the Koolstop and Rustines tips! Once again, thank you so much for your advice, thoughts and suggestions - very much appreciated!