Old 08-19-20, 10:07 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by RideBike2020
I have a Trex bicycle that I purchased around 1994. I always loved that bike. It has about 24 gears, if I recall correctly.
I local bicycle repair shop said he would have to put a new rear wheel on, which includes sprockets to make the gears move correctly, and I also wanted new gear shifters, since the old one's are sticky and deteriorated. He said the repair of $200 is really not worthy it, since I could not sell it for $200 after the repair. I appreciate his honestly.

Do you think it's worth it?
It depends on how and where you're going to ride the bike. If it's something you're looking to ride multi use bike paths, dirt and gravel roads, or just cruising around the neighborhood, $200 is totally worth it! I've worked in the bicycle industry as a mechanic for the last 38 years. The last several months, I pretty much do this exact repair multiple times daily. The biggest issue is getting parts at the moment.
Although these bikes are pretty simple to work on, a lot of shops and mechanics simply don't have a lot of experience on bikes that are pre 2000, so they don't like to work on them.I know that sounds strange, but it's true! Lots of other mechanics love working on this type project. Personally, I'd look more into that kind of shop.
Compared to a new bike, a nicer Trek Marlin or Roscoe, which is the modern day equivalent of your bike, are going to set you back $800-$1200. If you're looking for something to ride on more rugged off road trails, a new bike would be a better option, but the price just goes up from there.