Old 08-24-20, 09:54 PM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 497 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I've been cleaning and prepping the wheels and hubs in the meantime. No photos of that though - but I did snap a photo of the chain for another thread. Cleaned up quite well with a dunk in mineral spirits. Not bad for 68 years old.

I also went ahead and pulled the AW. Whatever someone poured in this thing to lubricate it with turned into a sticky, oily film that feels like sticking your fingers in wet clearcoat. The pawls were barely engaging, and when I tried to move the clutch retainer off, the entire clutch AND the rest of the hub (stuck to the clutch) came with it. I dribbled a bit of mineral spirits on it and everything broke apart pretty easily. I'm going to let it soak overnight.

On the plus side, this thing looks brand new.

-Kurt
Same story as when I rebuilt my '53 FW and '50 AG hubs. No wear on internal parts, practically new once cleaned up and fed bearings, grease, and 0W20. I'm jealous. Something about bringing back an old three-speed feels great.