Old 08-25-20, 10:22 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Thanks so much T-Mar for your always outstanding information.

The discussion twigged a recollection in me very imperfect "memory."

Over thirty years back I took in a Cortina road frameset which has been snoozing in me racks all this time.

Shoveled away a few kgs of detritus by means of excavation for purposes of a reccy.

It is a silver Silver Cloud model with Cortina transfers on head, down and seat. Crown, half taper tubes and head lugs are chomed. Ends set is Gipiemme long without eyelets. Lugset is Agrati "ROMA" pattern nr. 000.8020/U. Crown resembles NERVEX pattern nr. 6. Only braze-on is a cylindrical/barrel shaped chainstay stop. Pillar size is 26.4mm so it is some manner of quality plain gauge tubing. There is no tubing transfer and frame feels fairly heavy. You wrote in the other thread that the Silver Cloud model is built of Columbus so it must be plain gauge SP as it is clearly too early for Aelle. The only fitting it came with is an ordinary quality headset.

One possible perpetrator I thought of might be Garlatti as lugs and bridges match what they were doing at this time... It does however lack the usual Garlatti brake cable guides on the underside of the top tube. The only fitting it came with is an ordinary quality headset.

Cannot make imagery as have no cam.

-----
I suspect your Silver Cloud is from some other year than my price list. The 1973 price list specially states " Hand-made double butted Columbus tubing", so I'd expect a 27.2mm or 27.0mm seat post on a 1973 model. Besides, in 1973 Columbus didn't commercially offer anything other than the SL and SP road sets and the PL and PS track sets. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cortina product line was downsized and remodeled after the 1975 crash

26.4mm is down in the range of a lightweight hi-tensile steel. Rizzato's proprietary Tullio set was set in that range. There was also a Falck set around that size.

You're in the same state as me, when it comes to photos or scans. The scanner broke last year, the focus on my DSLR lens froze and I don't own a cell phone, let alone one with a camera. I'll try to remember to have my son take a photo of the Silver Cloud specs with his smart phone, the next time he's home.
Likes For T-Mar: