View Single Post
Old 08-25-20, 11:55 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
Oh, and I found this, it's randyjawa 's old Geocities guide to filing cotters - I don't recommend going to that page though, it kept trying to hijack my computer. Anyway, maybe this info helps?

I don’t currently own a vise because I have broken two. Have also broken a big shop vise and a friends machinist vise. Also have never been able to get anything to sit still in a vise ever. Don’t you need machinists blocks and clamps and an array of fixtures and accessories to do that?

Completely serious about the above. I am that bad. And maybe I can’t do this. Do know that this was once the standard of the world and hundreds of millions, maybe billions of bikes were operated this way. The supply of mechanical savants is not that big and neither is the supply of machinists shops that would want to diddle with cotter pins. Thinking of randyjawa technique and trying to see how it would be possible to do 0.002” or 0.005” at a time when the vises I am used to are not accurate to 0.020”. Or worse. Also thinking of Dave Moulton and his cohort who did this successfully many years with a file and a hammer. It gets done in 4th world shops where they use rocks.

I have enough mechanical sense to operate a QR as a cam and not a wingnut. I can mount tires every time, never touched bead jacks. I can stop a rim brake bike in the rain quicker and safer than nearly anyone on discs. I can do basic stuff. Some things are beyond me. If this is one of them I need a bike shop badly. Last one I asked they said they were not friends with cotter pins but they could figure it out. Leave bike two weeks. $100.