View Single Post
Old 08-26-20, 10:19 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Univega
Can you use brake cleaner instead of a degreaser soap? Let it dry overnight and lube the next day?
I have a piss poor memory because of the concussion but I don't remember ever hearing the term "brake cleaner". At the local auto parts store they have a super degreasing soap. I put about a 50-50 solution in my ultrasonic cleaner, allow it to come up to temperature and give it a 5 minute cleaning. These things are REALLY cheap ($30) and effective as long as you let the temperature come up to the point where it will melt wax lubricants.

As for lubing a chain. I put in a couple of candles and some fine Teflon powder into a Hot Pot bring that up to temperature and cook the chain in it for 10 minutes or more - when you CAREFULLY remove the chain with tongs, it should be hot enough that the wax flows off of it like water. I then hang it from a finishing nail in the garage high shelf and allow it to cool and drain any excess wax off. Be very careful since the chain will burn you. Properly done the Teflon permeated wax will be in the rollers and very little on the exterior of the chain. It will last several weeks rides and there won't be any wax build up on the cassette. As soon as the chain starts making noise repeat. I have found that regardless of how much you pay for a chain they are rather short lived anyway so it is usually best to buy a Shimano 105 chain and change them as soon as they are worn rather than paying a small fortune for a Wipperman Connex which will last twice as long and cost four times as much.