Old 08-27-20, 06:53 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
It turns out I have a toothache/dental problem that is caused by my cycling. I was considering posting my question/concern in the 41, but I will start here.

Several months ago I developed a mild but annoying toothache in my right lower bicuspid tooth. Within a few weeks, one of the causes became apparent, it's my water bottle switch technique: I am VERY comfortable drinking from the DT water bottle (for now, I will call this the "front" bottle), but not at all comfortable drinking from the ST bottle (the "rear" bottle). So my technique over the years while riding is drink from the front bottle, and when that bottle is empty, switch bottles by holding front empty bottle in mouth between teeth (and biting pretty hard so as to not lose bottle), reach down and switch rear bottle to front, then place empty bottle in rear cage. I realized that the hard biting on the right side of my mouth was aggravating if not causing the toothache.

So now I have switched sides and hold front empty bottle on the LEFT side of my mouth when I do the bottle switcheroo. However, I am starting to notice some minor toothache on THAT SIDE!

I suspect the best solution is to get used to drinking from the rear bottle once the front is empty and not bother with the switcheroo, but it feels VERY awkward and unnatural, akin to writing with my left hand (and I am a rightie).

So my long-winded question really has two pieces, which are likely opposite sides of the same coin:

1. What's the best solution to this problem?
2. How do most road cyclists deal with an empty front water bottle?
Easy solution is to just use the bottle from the cage it's in to start with

However, no need to use teeth. When the front bottle is empty, just hold it in your hand with that hand resting on the handlebar and use the other hand to switch bottle locations. Then place the empty bottle in the other cage. You only need a finger or two on the bars if going straight.
Likes For mvnsnd: