View Single Post
Old 08-27-20, 10:47 AM
raymellott

Bikes: 2015 Trek FX 7.0 - modified to be better on the road than it was designed to be. Now, 2021 Domane.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Bontrager Hardcase?

Originally Posted by Old Spice
Hey guys quick question hoping someone can give me a suggestion, I've got a Trek FX 1 Disc I've been tooling around on since covid hit and I'm on like my 5th flat tire, last one was a piece of glass embedded. I'm thinking screw these stock tires I'm looking to upgrade. What tires would you pick if you were me???
If you are using exactly the same tires as originally came on your FX1, they weren't Bontrager Hardcases. The tire is an "H2", which is code for, I suppose, a tire made for a 'hybrid' bike. Hence the "H". If you want a Trek Hardcase with an "H" tread, you can get one, but it appears from their website, that you would wind up with a tire that has a reflective stripe on the sidewall. That, for me, would be a turnoff. That said....

All the FX's except the 1's come with Hardcases. I have an H2 hardcase on my own FX1; after a blowout destroyed my old rear tire. No issues, since, on that wheel with some thousands of miles on it.

It's interesting to me that all the FX's except the 1 seem to come with "R1" Hardcases.... Basically they are road tires, with the kind of treadless tread you would expect on such a tire. If that's ok with you, and if you are just doing road riding, then, you might consider that tire, given it will fit your rims. THAT would be a question I'd be asking my Trek dealer before trying any switch.

I suppose others might disagree. My son is a fan of gatorskins, but he rides a high end road bike. Nonetheless...