View Single Post
Old 08-27-20, 12:10 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
Something that I feel that's helped me on long efforts is regular use of a rowing machine since COVID. It's strengthened my core and shoulders a bit so that I can hold positions on the bike for longer with less discomfort. Without a power meter, I don't know if it's actually done anything to strengthen my legs relative to last year, but I find that I'm coasting less, able to keep my head down for longer, and at least through these changes, I feel fresher on the relatively tiny hills that Manhattan has to offer.

Other than that, find a hill (or parking garage), and climb it. There's not much to prepare you for the mental aspect of a long climb besides for sitting on a long climb. Around here, 1 mi at 7% is about the best we got, and it was good for getting me to understand what a climb felt like - at least, up to a mile, up to 7%. Didn't help me on my first attempt up a 10% hill, but definitely helped with most other climbs that I've attempted.
That part's easier than people think before they do it. The scenery distracts a lot. If you're gaining enough elevation you'll notice the ecology change around you, it's pretty cool. Gives you something else to focus on.