Old 08-27-20, 08:51 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 893 Posts
Originally Posted by feejer
All Shimano. The hub is FH-T610 Deore 8-10 speed 135mm. The incoming 7 speed free hub is the RM30-7.

Question though, when you say you plan 3.5mm difference between the 7 and 8 speed free hubs, does that include the .5mm DS spacer shown in the diagrams?
UR screwed on using that hub. See the pdf and look at the area I mention. Where the FH engages the hub to transmit power.
I've already uploaded 1 of them.
(seems I might be having trouble loading the T-610 pdf)
Try this link-
https://si.shimano.com/#/en/EV/FH-T610

When I say use the DS parts, I mean use the DS parts.
You could probably remove a TINY bit of spacing on the DS, but usually there's not too much wiggle room before you have other problems that appear later. Like it won't shift back from the smallest cog because there isn't enough clearance from the chain stay. This might allow functioning on 13-14T smallest cogs, but not anything smaller. There's lots of potential bad paths.
EYEBALL things well first.
You need to do your research before you buy.
BTW, I built 3 different wheels about 8 years ago when I was layed up with a freshly installed steel rod in my leg.
I figured if it's a Shimano, it's "good enough".
RM-30's suck! Now 2 were on stretching the frame more than I should have conversions, but the 3rd was on my 135 factory spaced Hybrid.
The hybrid shows DS cone pitting after about 1200 miles, with fresh grease & new balls at least once during that period. All in nice weather conditions.
I replaced with The same T-610 I think. Bike was stolen, so not even short term results.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 08-27-20 at 09:01 PM.