Old 08-30-20, 02:58 AM
Aldatroid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
Reheating is one of those things one worries about but I don't think it actually does much harm especially with Cromoly. Better to make sure there's enough filler, but I think it will be obvious if there is or not as you sand it down a bit. As I think you said the area of potential concern is the bit right under the TT which is a place where frames can fail sometimes.

How are you going to do the filing/sanding? I recently made a fake fillet brazed frame (TIG braze over TIG welds-- plenty of reheating involved!) and sanded/filed them as best I could but I wish I'd seen Paul Brodie's videos which hadn't come out yet. He uses a kind of christmas tree shaped thing on a dremel-like tool (his is probably air-powered) followed by a dynafile-style belt-sander. There was a thread on this recently but good advice is be super careful with the power tools not to gouge out the steel and if in doubt use a hand-file in the tighter spots.

The joints look pretty good to me but I've never done this style of brazing.
Thanks for the reply.

hehe yeah I saw Brodie’s video. He makes it look so easy as well I’m planning on attacking it with hand tools for now, don’t trust myself with the power tools just yet 😊 Not that I own any either but I guess a regular power drill with that cone abrasive tool would work.

I’ll clean it up so we can have a proper look at the joint.
Likes For Aldatroid: