View Single Post
Old 08-30-20, 09:19 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by erileykc
I bought a Radcity in the summer of 2018 to make that last leap to being car free. Great form factor as essentially a short frame version of their cargo bike and it allows me to ride places that I wouldn't on my Jamis or Raleigh bikes both in term of range and the capacity for showing up not all sweaty at work or the doctors office. Out of the box the bike had a bad fork and spokes that were only hand tight. Rad replaced the fork promptly after I sent a short vid of the problem and the spokes tuned up without trouble. I expected a 'get what you pay for' bike at less than half the price of the Tern GSD I'd been looking at and figured I'd come out ahead just replacing brakes, chains and other small parts. After 14 months the top of the seat tube broke off at the weld with the top tube. Knowing it was out of warranty I called Rad about buying a frame but they don't keep frames. Best they would offer was to sell me a new bike at 17% off the new price. I cobbled together a solution and continued to ride it. Early this summer a brake lever broke off. Again Rad had no parts, I had to get a 'generic' E bike brake lever from Ali Baba. If you buy from them and you're outside the range of going to their shop in Seattle for support you should be prepared for their support to have some significant limits.
Have you considered buying a mid-80's to mid-90's steel MTB and transferring the parts?