Old 08-31-20, 12:36 PM
TommyTwoTone

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29,Giant Sedona, Schwinn Sting Ray.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Ugh ... I find it stressful to call the police to report a traffic violation. More often than not, I end up educating the officer about laws for riding a bike on the roads. Sometimes I have a receptive officer other times they are openly dismissive. I have no expectation of a citation for the driver, I do ask the PD to call the owner of the vehicle and inform them that a bike is a legal vehicle on the road and that 3 feet is the minimum required space while passing. Today's officer was receptive but I needed to have statutes in front of me, since he was unaware of them. .... just needed to vent it out a little.

Since this is BF ... I know this could get into a few rabbitholes, so I'll share additional information: Statute 169.18, Subdivision 3: (3) the operator of a motor vehicle overtaking a bicycle or individual proceeding in the same direction on the roadway shall leave a safe distance, but in no case less than three feet clearance, when passing the bicycle or individual and shall maintain clearance until safely past the overtaken bicycle or individual.

Bicyclists are considered traffic based on Minnesota Statute 169.011, Subdivision 84 and have the same rights and responsibilities applicable to the driver of a vehicle according to Minnesota Statute 169.222, Subdivision 1.
Minnesota Statute 169.011 states: "Traffic" means pedestrians, ridden or herded animals, vehicles, streetcars and other conveyances, either singly or together, while using any highway for purposes of travel.
Reference: https://www.bikemn.org/education/min...20a%20roadway.

GoPro video of the pass that got me to call the police:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAKAc0HId6g

Postscript: just talked to the officer again. He contacted the driver, who claimed I was weaving unpredictably. Sadly the officer had no interest in the video which clearly shows no weaving. The only good take away from this effort is two more people are aware that 3 feet are required when passing a person using a bike on the road.

I have found that the police, especially lately, are not going to do much in cases like this, in a lot of cities they are engaged in riot control, are on edge from riots or are working so much overtime that many are tired and getting a call from a cyclist is low priority unless someone is injured, they didn't see the offense and don't have time to pursue a driver that is now long gone because they are going to hear the same stories from the driver...."I didn't see them", or "they were in the middle of the street".....the law may be on your side, but.....