View Single Post
Old 09-01-20, 09:45 AM
Dion912

Bikes: 1983 Ross Utopian, 2006 Raleigh Competition, 2015 O'Doone Competition, 2017 Trek MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Time for a sad update to this thread. After repainting the frame, I had to wait for almost 2 months for the decals to arrive from the Ukraine. I applied them last weekend, and they really popped. The quality seemed exceptional and I couldn't wait to get the clear coat on and start reassembling the parts.

Let me start by saying that i always use a 'family' of paints to avoid any issues. I did not go exotic with this paint job and stuck to off the shelf rattle can products that I could easily buy at the local auto parts store, and in this case it all came from Rustoleum. Primer, paint and clear coat - all relatively mild Acrylic Enamel. So I had a low humidity day for around here (58%) and decided to spray the clear. Shortly after adding the first layer of clear to the first decal, you can see what happened.....to say that I was ticked off is probably an understatement. Of course the supplier's response - "I've never see that before". Thanks for my money back, but I'm not waiting another 2 months for a replacement set.

So back to the drawing board. I've ordered a different set of decals from VeloCals, and I'm having custom paint mixed up to match my vintage Porsche (see post #15 above). Maybe this bike gets done in 2020, maybe not.

After clear

Before clear

I was pretty excited at this point.