View Single Post
Old 09-01-20, 02:27 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ha ha - good one. I thought that you were being serious there for a second, until you wrote this and made it obvious that you were joking. Kudos.
You must be a newbie, so I'll cut you some slack. A 1 mph change in speed can happen when the wind changes speed or direction during your ride, or when you start getting more air resistance because you sat up a little while pedaling and that increased your coefficient of drag. In fact, changes in the wind can easily account for +3 mph while riding. This is why most serious riders will focus on their cadence and power output instead of just speed.

To take this a step further, the post I was referring to cited a 1 mph difference at 20+ mph. If you are riding above 20 mph, then 1 mph is less than a 5% difference in speed, which is something that is likely not going to be noticed. If you are still a beginner (as I suspect you must be) riding at 12 mph, then sure, that 1 mph matters a lot because it represents a bigger change as a percent of your speed. I recommend you spend more time lurking before posting again, mmkay?