Old 09-03-20, 02:30 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6255 Post(s)
Liked 4,853 Times in 3,345 Posts
I can only imagine that you didn't use masks regularly for any part of your career or elsewhere. Many of the cheaper masks and certainly a lot of the simple masks being sold or made by individuals handy with a sewing machine, will collapse around your mouth and nostrils when you inhale.

Usually not a problem for the short time they are needed and the low volume breathing demands of some activities or work.

And it's not volume of the material. It's surface area. In fact less volume of material but high surface area can be more desirable.

Nor does your material need to be as permeable as mosquito netting. You just need more surface area to get you the volume of air you need for breathing comfortably. But that is different for different materials, so some are better than others.

I've ridden 60 miles with a mask on. And I've since found better. But that was when it was cooler. Now in the heat it does take some effort and several masks. When they get wet with sweat, it's just like having a plastic bag put over your face. But I'd think there is some mask somewhere that can handle that.

Like others, I don't regularly ride with a mask on. But if I need it, I have it and I know it'll work well enough because I tried enough to find out what works for me.