Old 09-04-20, 06:10 PM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
Tried a bunch of online calculators - more confused than ever

I'm looking to buy my first road bike, and have tried several online calculators that give me sizes anywhere from 55cm to 61cm (see below). I'm 183cm tall with 92cm cyclist inseam and 190cm arm span. Long legs, long arms and short torso. I'm looking for a bike with a more relaxed endurance type position with the bars fairly close to seat height (which is about 82cm from the BB) rather than a slammed race type position. Could I really make any of these sizes work for me?

I assume that with my body proportions and requirement to have the seat quite high, smaller sized frames (endurance or otherwise) will have a larger bar drop. So I'm thinking 61cm... If I could swing 61cm, I'd love to grab this 61cm size Roubaix Sport 2020 at the excellent clearance sale price. But every calculator other than the two shown below tell me that 61cm is a bit too large for me. So which is it??? Could I make 61cm fit if it were to be a bit too large? Or should I just wait for a smaller bike to come along? Any advice appreciated. Like elsewhere outside Japan, bikes for sale are thin on the ground here so options are very limited, especially in the sizes I'm looking at.

Ideally, I would test ride before buying, but in Japan 56cm bikes are uncommon, and 58cm bikes and larger are almost non-existent. I could also just go and get a proper bike fitting... but corona.

Last edited by Kabuto; 09-04-20 at 07:28 PM.