Old 09-07-20, 09:23 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,703 Posts
Originally Posted by N2motorsports
Thought we could get in a ride before the heat. Started at 6:30 off scripps poway near the 67, bombed down scripps and climbed southend of pomerado and rode toward Kearney villa and then to genesis. In la jolla, made our way to Torrey pines, weather low 90s, full tank looking great. As soon as we went away from the coast to the 56 pathway, it was another planet. It was so hot my eyes were sweating then it would dry up with a blast of 110 degree wind. The last 9 miles were brutal, headaches, buzzing noises in my head, could not concentrate, making bad decisions just pure misery and very dangerous. I'll never do that again, but I was so eager to ride my new build bike I ignored all the dangers associated with heat exhaustion, never again. Stay safe folks.
that climb up the "purple monster" (or poway rd or the 67) can be miserable when it's hot. glad you were okay enough to post and remind us of the dangers.
we cyclists tend to try and push through things and we get away with it most of the time. i was at work outside, setting things up for the evening and had to
take a 5-min break because i was getting light headed. pushed through an overheated climb of (northern by east fork) gmr on sept 1st when all i
wanted to do was sit in the shade for 10 mins.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-07-20 at 09:30 PM.