Old 09-08-20, 01:42 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Nice looking Miami Vice, such vibrant colors. Congratulations and welcome.
Gorgeous and stunningly beautiful really. Everytime I look at it new words come to mind.
Inspiring me to wax my MV.
Thank you! I find myself just staring at it, honestly. I didn't realize I would find it so pretty.

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
With one of the still functioning saddle covers!
Those are rare, I take it? Can I hand-wash it, I assume?

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Chinghis

Before any real miles, lube and grease the bearings all around.
Thanks, good advice ... but I was antsy today and took it out on new tires for a 20-mile ride. Sorry, won't do it again But yeah, I will probably take her in for an overhaul and pedal-change. I like the bike too much to topple over in toe-clips at a light because I forgot they aren't clipless! Would also like a nice white leather saddle. The seat today was OK, but won't take much abuse, I don't think. Certainly not the cover, may as well keep it nice.

Originally Posted by canklecat
Wow, those look like the original tires too. Super skinny by today's standards, 700x18 or x19. And Wolber Super Champion Alpine rims! I rode a set of those for a year. Just as nice as the slightly lighter Araya CTL-370, those really lightweight low profile climber's rims. And the best looking low profile box section rims with that gray anodized finish, IMO.
"Super skinny" - you're telling me! I rode it before looking at them, and then realized that they're 20s. Even at just 80 pounds super-hard ride. I put on some 28s, and, yeah, that's as big as you can go, I think. Kind of had to squeeze them past the brakes.

I thought of doing conversions to make it more rideable, but I remembered today how fun a fast road bike is. So I don't want to change much (certainly too pretty to ride on gravel!), except maybe a lower gear range for hill-climbing. But I do like her as she is.

Originally Posted by Classtime
Chinghis Lovely Miami Vice. I had one in similar condition and it is now with a dad who rides with his son and daughter--all on IMs. Too bad about your CatEye. Tap it a little, spray it with tuner cleaner. It's gotta work!
Thanks, gonna give that a shot!

Originally Posted by 76SLT
That looks like a really nice Ironman. You did good! Have fun with it.
Thanks, I shall!