Old 09-10-20, 10:41 AM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
But it really is a big leap to jump to the conclusion that it's a diet problem. I could be - but there's so many other possibilities.

- exercise - people used to walk around all day then technology changed them to sitting all day - cars, offices, tractors - same thing happened here in the US where farmers used to be stereotypically skinny before machinery but after machinery became stereotypically fat and out of shape
- stress and work - jobs used to be fairly repetitive...again technology changed that from repetitive things you do with things-you-see-in-front-of-you to conceptualized and ever changing things, or repetitive customer service type work with things you don't own - you lose the feeling of ownership and accomplishment that you used to have when your work produced results that were yours and right in front of you
- stress and socialization - we're social creatures, just in my grandparents generation they used to talk chat have family get togethers - but then (again) technology moved us into doing things differently where we don't have automatic socialization as part of your daily life any more, I still have older relatives that I can watch play this "oh, I don't want to get together with people!"...then there's this little grin where they expect people to show up anyways like they grew up thinking would happen, but things changed to where you can almost entirely self isolate very by default
- diet - it's one of the possibilities, just not the only one, or in my opinion even likely to be the most likely one
Poor metabolic health is very complex and all the factors do not always contribute equally as "no one size fits all." That being said, I liken chronic poor health as a smoldering fire. When you are crashing(ie being hospitalized) and are actively dying this is the smoldering fire that is raging into an inferno. We want the firemen(the medical system) to put out these fire when they are smoldering and especially when they are raging. But as individuals outside the medical sphere, we have levers we can pull. Reducing processed carbs(eating less) is like bringing down the temperature. Reducing insulin is like reducing wind(eating infrequently, fasting). Exercising is like bringing in the marine layer. Reducing stress and getting good sleep is like weed abatement. Phoscheck is like chemotherapy(expensive and often times too late).