Old 09-11-20, 02:53 PM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
I used this method when first trying to install the tire. I made sure the tire sat in the well and took any slack -that was available- out of the tire; I mounted in the direction of the valve. It was just an insanely tight fit. What ended up happening was, as I spooned the tire on -a little from each side- it reached a point of extreme tension and would not go on anymore. I got frustrated [and lucky] that the use of the tire lever, cantilevered under the center of the unmounted portion caused it to stretch just enough to snap on.

Even though it was insanely difficult to put on, the quality of the ride is pleasant enough to warrant the hassle. I assume the impossible-to-mount sidewall is what gives this tire it's reactive steering input. It's much better than the Yksion Pro tires I had before- much more confidence inspiring to rail a corner.
What rims are you mounting them on? There doesn't seem to be any real standards for tubeless with the rare exception of Mavic's UST wheels and tires. The Yksion Pro's were the easiest ones I've mounted on my Comete Pro's but, they were designed to work together.
But the Yksions are hard to find, don't last very long, and have pretty poor puncture resistance (at least in my experience) and now the Tangentes are getting harder to find as well.

It looks like Schwalbe released a new version of the Pro One that uses a new compound and V-Guard instead of that crappy Microskin they used on the previous version. I loved the tubed Pro One's when they first came out but the tubeless version was terrible imho.
Might have to try the newest version of those once my Zipp's are done.